If you have a HelloFresh box this week you know there is no Rump Steak recipe only a Sirloin Steak. Well, today when I started cooking I realized that I had two packs of Rump Steak in my box (I needed just 1 for Teriyaki Beef), so someone swapped Sirloin for Rump by a mistake. I called HelloFresh Customer service and they gave me credit for my next box. I must say that HelloFresh got amazing Customer service, they definitely stick to the rule ‘Customer is always right’ without asking any silly questions. So thumbs up HelloFresh Customer Service!
Anyway, so here is recipe for Sirloin/ Rump Steak. It works with either, as long as it is steak meat. Btw I have made some small changes to the recipe, a bit less onion and garlic, as I don’t like to smell of garlic and onion, especially as I sweat a lot as a personal trainer.
Rump steak with Peppercorn Sauce
Ingredients (for 2 adults)
- 2 Rump Steak pieces
- New potatoes (aprox. 10 small ones)
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1 red onion
- 15g butter
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 182 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 chicken stock pot
- 150g Creme Fraiche
- 1 small bag of baby spinach
- Remove the steaks from the fridge. Preheat the oven 200°C. Cut potatoes into 2cm chunks, spread them on a baking tray, drizzle a bit of oil and spice with a pinch of salt and thyme leaves. Bake for 25 – 30mins till golden.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the red onion into half moons. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook until golden and soft for about 15-20mins. Stir every now an then to prevent it from burning at the bottom. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl, keep the saucepan as you will use it later.
- Halve, peen and thinly slice the shallot. Peel and grate / chop / press the garlic. Roughly chop the flat leaf parsley and crush the peppercorns.
- Season steak with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan, once hot lay in the steaks. Cook 2 mins each side on high heat and then 2 more mins on each side on lower heat for medium – rare. For medium add extra 2 mins on each side for medium. Once done transfer on a plate and cover with a foil.
- If need add a splash of oil in the pan and add shallot. Cook until soft, aprox. 5 mins, then add peppercorn, thyme, white vinegar and half the garlic. Add the chicken stock pot and 100ml water. Cook for 3 mins on reduced heat and then stir in the creme fraiche. Take it off the heat.
- Once your potatoes are cooked put the onion on top of the potatoes and leave in the oven for another 5 mins.
- Heat a splash of oil in the sauce pan. Add the remaining garlic, fry for a min and then add the spinach and wilt for 3-4mins.
- Stir parsley into the sauce, add any resting juices from the steaks.
- Serve potatoes on a plate and spinach next to it. Slice steak and place on top of the spinach. Spoon the sauce over the steak. Enjoy!